Travertine is a terrestrial sedimentary rock, formed either by the precipitation of carbonate minerals from solution in ground and surface waters or geothermal hot-springs. It looks beautiful when it’s well looked after, but it does require occasional professional maintenance.
If you are seeking help cleaning, restoring or just polishing a travertine floor, our specialist floor restoration team in Maidstone have both the experience and the cutting edge equipment needed to provide the highest quality results. First, TileMaster staff remove dirt and debris, before buffing out surface marks and getting rid of surface scratches. Protective sealant is then applied, which restores the travertine to a fantastic like-new shine, in turn making the tiles and grout easier to keep cleaner, for longer.
How to tell your travertine needs cleaning or restoration
Weekly sweeping and dusting of the floor is always recommended, supported by semi-regular professional cleaning and polishing to extend the floor’s lifespan for as long as possible.
The frequency with which you should professionally clean, polish and seal your travertine floor is decided based on a number of different factors, not least the amount of footfall the floor receives. Typically business premises require professional cleaning more frequently than domestic dwellings.
When deciding to book a professional restoration of your travertine you should look our for these common issues. Your local TileMaster professional can help identify and resolve the following common travertine problems:
- Dull and lifeless travertine flooring
- Holes and pits in the surface that require filling
- Cracks in the surface
- Uneven floor with sharp edges
- Worn, tired grouting
- Debris from builders or construction work
- Mopping has no effect
- Scratches and dirt embedded in the surface
- Does your travertine floor have dull spots?
- Are you looking to bring back that fresh, just laid finish?
Benefits of our travertine cleaning and polishing service
Book the trained and experienced staff of TileMaster Maidstone to restore your travertine tiles to discover why our customers consistently rate us 5 stars. There are many benefits of TileMaster’s travertine floor cleaning and polishing service beyond our fantastic and affordable prices, including:
- Extend the lifespan of your travertine flooring dramatically
- Less maintenance and sweeping once any holes and cracks have been filled
- Protect the grout with a professional seal to keep it cleaner for longer
- Better and brighter finish achieved
- Grinding the floor creates a smooth seamless finish
- A safer, bacteria-free environment for family and pets
- Our process protects your warranty
- We work with minimal disruption and leave no mess behind
TileMaster’s travertine restoration packages:
Every member of staff at TileMaster has been carefully trained to restore travertine floors, using only the most suitable techniques in order to achieve the best results for our customers. Our state-of-the-art floor cleaning machines and solutions enable our technicians to deploy an specialised multi-step process for cleaning travertine and grout, restoring all to an impressive finish:
- Step 1 – TileMaster survey the travertine and discuss finish and seal options
- Step 2 – We then remove furniture and prepare the area
- Step 3 – Surroundings are protected and sensitive surfaces masked with specialist low tack masking and protection
- Step 4 – Dry vacuuming and sweeping of the area to remove dry soil and abrasive grit
- Step 5 – We use custom cleaning agents to remove old sealer and previous cleaning solutions.
- Step 6 – Mechanical agitation and power scrub with PH neutral floor cleaner, deep cleaning the tiles and grout
- Step 7 – Fresh water rinsing and high power vacuum extracts the dirty solution into our specialist on board vacuum tanks
- Step 8 – Diamond sand smoothes the surface and removes marks and etching
- Step 9 – Diamond Polish to a Honed, Matt, Satin, high shine or mirror finish as required
- Step 10 – Speed dry floor and buff to remove any final marks and leave a perfect, spotless floor
- Step 11 – Commercial grade impregnating sealer is applied to protect the grout from oil and water based spills and stains
- Step 12 – Final customer inspection process, full advice offered for daily and weekly maintenance, complementary 6 months worth of cleaner
Why choose TileMaster:
There are many reasons to choose TileMaster Maidstone to restore the travertine floor in your home or business. From our great prices to our fast and efficient work. Ask our many happy customers who rate us 5 stars, there are so many reasons to choose TileMaster:
- Fully insured for all domestic and commercial work
- Health and safety compliant displaying signage and working safely
- Fully trained UK team
- Quality added value of service
- Minimum disruption to your home or business
- Friendly, local service
- We move your furniture and replace it again
Every job is different, due to furniture, size of area and treatments required but during the free survey & demo we will give you an estimate of time. For example, we recently completed a deep clean and sealed a marble floor of 40sqm in 1.5 days
Every job is different but during the free survey we measure up, do a free demonstration clean to show the results we can achieve, and from this we send over a full proposal for you to browse at your own leisure. We do not give prices on the day or put you under any pressure for an answer there and then
Yes, the floor is fine to use once we leave on the first day. We try to leave protection on the floor in the main traffic way or around the kitchen island, in front of the sink or oven. We normally suggest just not to cook anything like spag bol or curry, however, because the sauce might end up splattering on the floor
No problem! Using specialist filler and a traditional wax method we can colour match fillers on site to help make them look like a natural feature of your tile
Holes in travertine are perfectly natural and are caused by hot springs or gasses passing through the rock. The pits and air pockets can be filled in the factory process, but these can pop out and come away from foot traffic when the tiles are first laid. Also, some travertine is sold unfilled and during the fitting the tiler fixer will float the grout over the whole tile and fill up the holes and pits with grout. This is perfectly fine, however the grout can become stained and discoloured if it isn’t sealed and maintained correctly
Yes, we can use aggressive diamond tooling to remove the lips or sharp edges. Once the floor is flat we can smooth out the floor and bring back the wonderful polished finish
All products used are within the manufacturer’s guidelines, and where applicable your flooring manufacture own brand products can be used.
Scratches, scuff marks and damage on the floor can be removed if they are surface-level and in the dressing. Deeper scratches on the surface may require a more intensive process to use diamond pads to repair the scratch.
We are happy to give a ballpark figure from pictures and room sizes, as this can help customer budgeting on renovation projects if they are unsure whether to restore or replace, but ultimately we would need to carry out a full survey and demo before any work can take place.
Yes, we are always happy to call out and offer a free demo clean. Not only does this give you, the customer, a good indication of the results we can achieve, it also allows us to quote for the floor correctly, as we know the process required to achieve those results.