Slate is the finest grained metamorphic rock, and it’s used in all sorts of interiors and exteriors around the world. Slate is generally very durable, although it does scratch more easily than other flooring options.
If you are searching for help cleaning, restoring and polishing, our specialist floor restoration team in Maidstone have both the top-of-the-range equipment and the years of experience needed to achieve the highest quality results. Our teams will remove dirt and debris, eliminate surface marks and polish out scratches before reapplying protective sealant. The result is a wonderful like-new shine that makes tiles and grout easier to keep cleaner, for longer.
How to tell your slate needs cleaning or restoration
Most tile manufacturers advise weekly sweeping and dusting of the floor, supported by infrequent professional cleaning and polishing. This ensures the longest lifespan for the floor.
Exactly how frequently one should professionally clean, a slate floor depends on several factors, including the amount of footfall the floor receives. Most often we find that business premises need professional cleaning more regularly than domestic settings. Look out for these issues common to slate floors when deciding to book a professional restoration of your tiles. Your local TileMaster professional can of course assist with diagnosing any problems you may have with your floor:
- Have your slate tiles become dull and lifeless?
- Does you slate only look good when it’s wet?
- Is the grouting discoloured?
- Has recent work left the tiles dust or patchy?
- Does mopping fail to improve the floor’s appearance?
- Are there stubborn marks which are impossible to remove?
- Does you slate floor have dull spots?
- Did the slate look much better when it was new?
Benefits of our slate cleaning and sealing service
Book the trained and experienced staff of TileMaster Maidstone to restore your slate tiled floor and find out why our customers keep coming back to TileMaster. It’s not only about our great value prices, there are an ever expanding number of benefits of TileMaster’s slate floor restoration service, including:
- A longer lifespan for your floors
- Less maintenance required
- Your grout will stay cleaning for longer
- Your slate will appear brighter and shinier
- Waxing make the slate feel nicer under foot
- Get rid of bacterial build up for a more hygienic home
- Professional servicing of the tiles protects their warranty
- We carry out our work with a minimum of disruption and always clean up after work is complete
TileMaster’s slate restoration packages:
Every member of staff at TileMaster has been specially trained to restore slate floors, using only techniques suited to slate cleaning in order to ensure the best results for our customers. Using state-of-the-art floor cleaning equipment and our own cleaning solutions, our technicians deploy an advanced multi-step process for cleaning slate and grout, restoring all to a wonderful and vibrant finish:
- Step 1 – Survey the floor and discuss finish and seal options with client
- Step 2 – Removal of any furniture and preparation of the area
- Step 3 – Surrounding areas are protected and sensitive surfaces are shielded with specialist low tack masking and protection
- Step 4 – Vacuum or sweeping of the slate to remove dry soil or potentially abrasive grit
- Step 5 – We apply our custom cleaning agents, remove any old sealer residues and previous treatments.
- Step 6 – Power scrub with mechanical agitation and PH neutral floor cleaner. Deep cleaning and removes years of dirt and grime from the slate
- Step 7 – Evacuating dirt using fresh water rinsing and high power vacuuming
- Step 8 – A diamond tipped brush is used to bring out a fresh layer of the slate
- Step 9 – Speed drying of the floor and buffing of the surface to remove footprints and leave an outstanding blemish free floor
- Step 10 – Top quality impregnating sealer used to protect the grout from future spills
- Step 11 – Optional application of a matt or satin wax offering a softer under-foot feel
- Step 12 – Customer invited to inspect the floor, advice given for maintenance cleaning, along with complementary 6 months worth of cleaner
Why choose TileMaster:
Restore your slate flooring with TileMaster, we know you’ll be delighted with the results. From our great prices to our fast and efficient work, our many delighted customers are testament to the quality of our work. There are so many reasons to choose TileMaster:
- Fully insurance cover for domestic and commercial work
- Work always carried out safely
- Our teams are fully trained for slate cleaning
- Top quality service offers great value
- Minimal disruption with full clean up after
- Friendly local floor technicians in your area
- We’ll even move your furniture for you
Every job is different, due to furniture, size of area and treatments required but during the free survey & demo we will give you an estimate of time. For example, we recently completed a deep clean and sealed a marble floor of 40sqm in 1.5 days
Every job is different but during the free survey we measure up, do a free demonstration clean to show the results we can achieve, and from this we send over a full proposal for you to browse at your own leisure. We do not give prices on the day or put you under any pressure for an answer there and then
Why does my slate floor always look great when I wash it, but then it dry out dull and grey again?
The wet look that mopping gives to a slate floor brings its colours and shine out. Unfortunately, once the floor dries it quickly looks grey and dusty again. TileMaster offer a range of sealer that can enhance the colour and shine of your slate, while also offering a very durable and hard wearing finish
Yes, the floor is fine to use once we leave on the first day. We try to leave protection on the floor in the main traffic way or around the kitchen island, in front of the sink or oven. We normally suggest just not to cook anything like spag bol or curry, however, because the sauce might end up splattering on the floor
Yes, we can use aggressive diamond tooling to remove the lips or sharp edges. Once the floor is flat we can smooth out the floor and bring back the wonderful polished finish
Normally the floor needs around 4 hours to dry. If we are only sealing the grout, the floor is fine for socks and slippers after 1 hour, but depending on the porosity of the tiles, room temperature and other factors, the floor can take longer to dry.
All products used are within the manufacturer’s guidelines, and where applicable your flooring manufacture own brand products can be used.
Scratches, scuff marks and damage on the floor can be removed if they are surface-level and in the dressing. Deeper scratches on the surface may require a more intensive process to use diamond pads to repair the scratch.
We are happy to give a ballpark figure from pictures and room sizes, as this can help customer budgeting on renovation projects if they are unsure whether to restore or replace, but ultimately we would need to carry out a full survey and demo before any work can take place.
Yes, we are always happy to call out and offer a free demo clean. Not only does this give you, the customer, a good indication of the results we can achieve, it also allows us to quote for the floor correctly, as we know the process required to achieve those results.